The mission of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (VPRI) portfolio is to support U of T in its position as one of the top public research universities in the world by creating an environment that enables our researchers, scholars and learners to do what they do best — advance understanding and apply new knowledge.
Our work supports, fosters and promotes the research and innovation activities of our faculty and students across our three campuses, through work with our affiliated hospitals and external agencies, and with our strategic partners.
The VPRI provides a full range of support, including administrative services and guidance to faculty, staff and students on:
- research funding, administration and oversight,
- innovation and entrepreneurship,
- policies and procedures, and
- institutional awards and honours.
Each year the VPRI portfolio, with a full-time staff of 100, is responsible for providing these services and supports in a timely manner to the U of T community, including managing, negotiating and supporting the activities highlighted below:
The VPRI has several standing advisory committees through which it continuously consults with the University community on priority activities and strategic directions. These include the Research Advisory Board, which is comprised of senior representatives from all the University academic divisions and representatives U of T’s partner hospitals. In 2015, we established the Institutional Research Leadership Group as a smaller forum to provide strategic guidance as well as input into institutional commitments around research programs. The Group includes:
- the Vice-Deans of Research (or equivalent) from all of the multi-department Faculties,
- the Vice-Principals of Research from the University of Toronto Mississauga and the University of Toronto Scarborough, and
- two representatives from the single-department academic divisions.